PDA

View Full Version : Teh WR 426eth

Fb.Paul
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Went riding today and didn't really have anyone to go with so I invited my buddy Jason. His bike still isn't fixed (we just got the diaphragm for his carb on Saturday finally), so I said he could use the WR.

Last time I started it I rode it around a bit and noticed that it had some severe clutch drag. I'm not sure if it was like that when you rode it in Idaho City Nathan but it was bad and it made it stall all the time.

On the advice of Jason I removed the basket, plates, and spacers. I sprayed the inside of the case generously with contact cleaner, and sprayed each individual plate and spacer as well. Put everything back together and it is amazing how much better it works. Not only is there no drag at all (and this cured 98% of all stalling issues), but the clutch is way easier to pull.

I changed the oil with full synthetic and put in a clean filter and surprisingly it was a lot easier to start too. About 5-8 kicks to get it started in the morning, then it usually fired on the 1st kick after hot but never more than 5.

When I get the time and money I'm going to pull the engine and do the full top end / valvetrain job, and I also think I'm going to try and find a used rekluse to put in it as well. That along with the yz conversion eventually, by next year the bike will be pretty sweet.

We braved the heat and rode out at Jericho today, staging from Sage Riders pits and starting at about 8:30 am. I got a flat tire after about 15-20 miles so we rode back to the truck and fixed it, then went back out and did another 15 or so miles. The heat wasn't that bad until about noon, but at that time it was simply unbearable and we had to pack up and go.

Good day riding and it was nice to finally ride my 505 again, though it is being really noisy and I've got some work to do before racing it in Price later this month.

Fb.Nathan
08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Bike just needed a little love, and I'm not there to hump it! If I'm in as good of physical shape (not riding shape, but physical shape at least) as I hope to be come Idaho City 2010, and the bike is in the best shape it can be, I may give it a shot again. Actually, if we pull the Baja trip off in late April I should be in decent riding shape as a result (not as good as I would want to be, but decent), and if possible I'd like to take the WR down there (if it's ready).

Looks like it might be fun!